our performance Matters
Who are we and what do we do
The Performance and Improvement Service is responsible for the development and co-ordination of the Council’s Improvement and Performance work. In relation to performance, this includes monitoring and supporting the delivery of the Corporate Plan, Directorate Plans and Service plans as well as Performance Reporting.
The council collects information on its performance:
so we know how we are performing and can identify where we can improve
to help hold us accountable to the people of Shetland and others with an interest in the council
- The Local Government Benchmarking Framework (LGBF) can be viewed by going to My Local Council. This site aims to help members of the public and others understand how well their council is performing across a range of council services.
- Planning and Performance Management calendar, accountability and responsibilities (PDF)
- Best Value Guidance from Audit Scotland
- How Good is Our Council? Guidance (PDF)
- Extract below taken from Audit Scotland Guide Managing performance - are you getting it right? (PDF)
Click below for more information on our performance
Quarterly updates on performance, Our Corporate Plan and Indicators from each of the 5 directorates - Children's Services, Corporate and Executive Services, Community Health & Social Care, Development Services and Infrastructure Services are presented to relevant committees.
Further detailed information on Local Government Benchmarking Framework (LGBF), Our Corporate Plan, Single Outcome Agreement (SOA), Statutory Performance Indicators (SPIs) including Public Performance Reporting (PPR) and Local Indicators.
More information on our internal audit team, external auditors and scutiny bodies.
Customer Feedback Framework
Our Customer Feedback Framework document shows ways in which our services actively go out to the community and request feedback on how we’re doing as a Council.
Councils have a statutory duty to provide Best Value, set out in the Local Government in Scotland Act 2003. This duty applies to both councillors and council employees (council officers). Best Value is about councils continuously improving the performance of their services, and effectively managing performance and improvement is essential to achieve this.
If you would like to see any performance information that's not on our website please contact Performance and Improvement
Shetland Islands Council
8 North Ness Business Park
Tel: 01595 744598 or 01595 744672