Clothing Grants, free school meals and free school milk
What is a Clothing Grant?
A Clothing Grant is a grant awarded to children from families on a low income to help towards the cost of clothing and footwear.
What are Free School Meals?
A free School Meal is a school lunch provided free of charge by Shetland Islands Council to children from families on a low income. All pupils in Primary 1 to Primary 3 are now eligible for free School meals, however these pupils should still be included on your application form if you wish to apply for Free School milk and / or a Clothing Grant.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much is the clothing grant?
- Where can I apply for a clothing grant and/or free school meals / free school milk?
- How old does my child have to be?
- Can my child still apply for a clothing grant if they are over the compulsory school age?
- What information do I need for my application?
- When will I hear if I have been awarded a grant?
- Who do I contact if I have any queries about clothing grants or free school meals?
The grant is £50 per year for secondary pupils, £45 per year for primary pupils and £40 per year for nursery pupils. Payments are made by BACS to your nominated bank account, or by cheque, where necessary.
You can apply for a clothing grant and/or free school meals by completing the Application Form online or by printing a copy and returning it to: Children's Services, Hayfield House, Hayfield Lane, Lerwick, ZE1 0QD. Please refer to the Guidance when completing your application. If you are unable to complete an application form online, please contact us:
- Telephone: 01595 743845
- Email: email@example.com
The Clothing Grant is available to children attending Nursery, payable from their third birthday and children attending school up to the age of 16. Free School Meals are available to Primary and Secondary pupils. All pupils in Primary 1 to Primary 3 are now eligible for free School meals, however these pupils should still be included on your application form if you wish to apply for Free School Milk and / or a Clothing Grant.
No, but they may be eligible to apply for an Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA).
When you complete and submit your application form you will have to provide some documentary evidence. This could be:
- Tax Credit Award Notice (TCAN) TC602 2016/17 from HM Revenue & Customs.
- A letter from Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) less than three months old confirming the type of benefit and current eligibility.
- If you receive Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance, your letter must state the words Income-based.
- Confirmation of your current support from the National Asylum Support Service (NASS).
- A bank statement showing the Child Benefit payment going into your bank account, less than three months old.
You can email the documentary evidence with your application form, or you can submit these by post or in person to the Children’s Services office at Hayfield House. Please remember that if you do not submit your documents along with your application form, to write clearly on them the child's name so that they can be easily matched to your application form. We can accept photocopies of your documents, however, we reserve the right to the see the original document if necessary, on request.
The Children’s Services office should contact you within 21 working days.
Payment of Clothing Grants should be made within 14 days from the date of your award letter. In the case of Free School Meals, the school will be notified that your child is entitled to meals once the application has been approved.
Please note, if your child is starting Nursery, Primary 1 or Secondary 1, we cannot award a clothing grant until their attendance at Nursery or School has been confirmed. Payment will not be made until after the school returns from their summer break, or for Nurseries after the child's third birthday.
If you have a query about entitlement to clothing grants or free school meals you can contact the Children’s Services Department:
- By telephone: 01595 743845
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person at the Children’s Services Department at Hayfield House.
Please take a moment to complete our Free School Meals / Clothing Grant Feedback Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BX76T78