Children's Services (Schools)
In Shetland we have a total of 32 schools:
- 1 High School
- 1 High School with a primary and nursery department
- 1 School with a secondary, primary and nursery department
- 4 Junior High Schools with secondary, primary and nursery departments
- 24 Primary Schools (two mothballed)
The Schools Service has the task of challenging and supporting schools in remote, diverse and sometimes fragile local communities, each with varied needs. The role of the Schools Service, in preparing Shetland pupils to respond to rapidly changing opportunities in employment, further and higher education is a key part of developing the economic and social sustainability of the island communities.
To create and maintain a framework and culture in which individual learners can strive to realise their full potential.
Policy and Planning
To develop, maintain, promote and gain agreement to the vision, culture and strategic direction of our Education Service.
To provide Quality Assurance which evaluates standards of Education Service delivery and drives continuous improvement.
To contribute to the development, delivery and evaluation of an efficient Education Service, in partnership, and alone, which meets the needs of learners, stakeholders and the community.
Adults may wish to increase their number of qualifications, or the grades of existing qualifications. It is possible for adults to request assistance from schools in the following ways:
- Sitting the external exam at the same time and place as pupils from the school
- Processing the Registration and Entry for the Qualification
- Regular attendance at a class or classes throughout, or for part of the session
- A combination of 1, 2 and 3
Where an adult (defined as: “someone who has left school and who has had a break from full-time learning” wishes to take one of these opportunities, a request should be made to the Head Teacher of the school, who will explain the procedure.”
Management and Administration
To manage and evaluate systems and resources to provide an efficient and on-going education service according to the principles of Best Value.
Children’s Services (Schools)
Tel: 01595 744000
Fax: 01595 744010
Please feedback your comments on the website and give us an indication of any other material which you consider could usefully be added to this site.