current and upcoming elections
- Community Council By-Elections - January/March 2017
Community Council No. of Vacancies Bressay 3 Delting 4 Gulberwick, Quarff and Cunningsburgh 1 Yell 1
- Crofting Commission - March 2017
The first crofting elections took place in 2012 and the next election will be held in 2017. Elections are held every five years to elect six board members to the Crofting Commission. Each croft is entitled to one vote, with crofters of multiple crofts having only one vote. The electoral area is divided into six constituencies, and each constituency must elect one member (see Constituency Boundary Map).
- Orkney and Caithness
- East Highlands (East Sutherland, Easter Ross, East Inverness and Moray)
- Western Isles
- West Highlands (West Sutherland, Wester Ross. Skye and Lochalsh)
- South West Highlands (Lochaber, Argyll and Bute, Arran and Cumbrae, Small Isles)
The contested elections will be conducted by postal ballot, under the alternative vote system. Malcolm Burr, Chief Executive of Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, has been appointed as Returning Officer for the Crofting Commission Elections 2017. The count will take place in Stornoway at 10.00am on Friday 17 March 2017.
To become nominated as a candidate at the Crofting Commission Elections you are required to submit a completed set of nomination papers by Thursday 26 January 2017. Nomination papers can be delivered from the day after the publication of the Notice of Election on 5 January 2017.
Nomination forms and other documents relating to the election can be downloaded from this website (see below); obtained on request, by e- mail to email@example.com ; or from the Election Offices detailed in the Nomination Pack.
- Local Government Elections - 4 May 2017
If you are considering standing for election, the Improvement Service has developed a website for potential candidates that will help you understand the many different aspects of a councillor's role, provide you with information to help you decide if being a councillor is for you and ensure you are well prepared should you be elected. The website is www.localcouncillor.scot
- Guidance and resources are also available from the Electoral Commission (external link) if you are interested in becoming a candidate or agent.
- More information about the council elections will be published here in due course. If you wish to register an interest in receiving more information about the council elections when it becomes available please email firstname.lastname@example.org